Connect with us

News

FG Refute Claims Of Nigerians Waiting For Execution In Saudi Arabia

Published

on

Execution

The claim that 23 Nigerians are awaiting execution in Saudi Arabia has been rubbished by the Federal Government.

On Tuesday, August 27,  the government dismissed the report that claimed that the men were awaiting execution after being convicted for drug offences.

Recall that days back the Nigerian media had been awashed with names of the convicts awaiting execution.

Also Read:  Zainab Aliyu Arrives Nigeria Following Release By Saudi Arabia

In a statement, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs countered the claim, adding it had been in contact with the Nigerian Mission in Saudi Arabia “and it has been confirmed that the story is false and should be disregarded.”

The Ministry’s spokesperson, Ferdinand Nwonye also told newsmen that they are also investigating claims of some of the accused being arraigned without adequate legal representation in accordance with internationally accepted legal principles.

Also Read:  Must-dos if you are visiting Uyo for the first time

“Furthermore, the Nigerian Mission was not informed of the arrests and trials.  The Federal Government is, therefore, engaging the Saudi authorities through diplomatic channels with a view to finding a just solution” the MFA spokesperson said.

Share
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

ICPC Declares Obono-Obla Wanted

Published

on

Okoi Obono-Obla

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has declared the former chairman of the Special Investigation Panel for the Recovery of Public Property (SPIP), Okoi Obono-Obla, wanted.

The agency, The Cable reported on Tuesday, said that it took the decision because of Obono-Obla’s “repeated failure to appear before it to answer questions bordering on allegations of fraud and corruption.”

Share
Also Read:  Uduaghan Loses Senatorial District To James Manager
Continue Reading

News

Court Grants FG Request For Interim Forfeiture Of Maina’s 23 Properties

Published

on

Maina

A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has granted an order of interim forfeiture of 23  properties belonging to Abdulrasheed Maina.

Justice Folashade Giwa-Ogunbanjo gave the order on Tuesday, October 22, after hearing an exparte application filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

Maina was the Chairman of the defunct Pension Reform Task Team.

Also Read:  Ways to deal with a competitive friend

The court also made an order directing the publication of the Interim Order of Forfeiture in any national daily newspaper inviting any person(s) or body(ies) who may have interest in the assets and properties listed in the schedule to show cause, within 14 days of such publication, why a Final Order of forfeiture to the Federal Government of Nigeria of the said assets and properties should not be made.

Also Read:  Expect my album in 2016-LAX

The exparte motion was moved by M.S Abubakar.

It was brought pursuant to section 17(1) and (3) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act 2006.

Share
Continue Reading

News

Court Orders Forfeiture Of Saraki’s Ikoyi Properties

Published

on

Trouble

A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has ordered the temporary forfeiture of two properties of Bukola Saraki, a former Senate President of Nigeria.

The properties are located at 17A McDonald Road, Ikoyi, Eti Osa local government, Lagos state.

Nnaemeka Omewa,  counsel to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission ( EFCC), had approached the court, seeking an order of interim forfeiture of the properties.

According to Omewa, they were acquired through “proceeds of unlawful activities”.

Part of the reliefs sought by the EFCC included “An order of this honourable Court forfeiting to the Federal Government of Nigeria landed property with appurtenances situate, lying and known as No. 17A McDonald Road, Ikoyi, Eti Osa Local Government Area of Lagos State found and recovered from the respondent which property is reasonably suspected to have been acquired with proceeds of unlawful activity”.

Also Read:  Ways to deal with a competitive friend

According to the commission, while serving as governor of Kwara state, Saraki allegedly withdrew over N12 billion cash from the account of the Kwara government and paid the same into his accounts domiciled in Access and Zenith Banks through one of his personal assistant, Abdul Adama.

Delivering ruling on the application, Mohammed Liman, the presiding judge, ordered interim forfeiture of the two properties.

Also Read:  Nigerians Real Food Is Revealed In Our Takeout Choices

He also instructed that the EFCC should publish the order in a national newspaper within 14 days, for anyone with interest in the properties to show cause, why they should not be finally forfeited to the federal government.

Recall that the federal government had arraigned Saraki at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) while he was Senate President.

He was accused of failing to declare his assets, an allegation he denied, before the supreme court subsequently dismissed the false assets declaration trial.

Share
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending

Copyright © 2019, February13 Media