Connect with us

Politics

Naze to Okorocha: Save us from lawmaker invading our land before

Published

on

The people of Umuakali Naze, in Owerri North Local Government Area of Imo State, have cried out to the state governor, Owelle Rochas Okorocha over alleged encroachment on their ancestral land and abuse of their fundamental human rights by people who claim to be agents of the government.

The community  through the group Ezumezu Naze, fingered the member representing them in the State House of Assembly, Hon. Chukwuemeka Lloyd Obuh via newspaper publications on May 11, 2016 [via Nigeria Newspoint, Nigeria Newsbreak, White-Paper and Announce Express Newspapers] condemned what they termed ‘sudden and callous’ invasion of their ancestral land.

Through their spokesperson, Mr. Okechukwu Ajoku, the Ezumezu Naze said the lawmaker, Hon. Chukwuemeka Lloyd ordered people to bulldoze into the Nkporo Ancestral land which is the only remaining land the government has reserved for them.

 

They listed Otamiri South Layout, Otamiri South Extension Layout, Otamiri South Extension Annex, Naze Residential Layout, Naze Road North Industrial Layout, Naze Industrial Cluster, Naze Imo Modem Market, Naze Timber and Allied Regional Market, Naze Timber and Allied Regional Market Phase II and Naze Timber and Allied Regional Market Residential Layout as part of their land contribution towards the development of Imo State and wondered why government would be encroaching in the only portion that is left for them. It was alleged that those bbulldozing the land are agents of the government.

 

They people wondered why whosoever that had interest in the land never come until they had cleared the place with others erecting dwarf fences which were bulldozed by the agents of the lawmaker whom according to them are only working to acquire the land for themselves. They said they had performed necessary rituals to move the shrines and deities that have been occupying that area and just when the land had been confirmed safe for people to live in, someone appeared from nowhere to claim ownership of the land.

Also Read:  NCC Suspends COSON's Operating Licence

 

They fingered their kinsman, Chibo Mezu whom they alleged to have been guarded by the Police men at the site during the bulldozing, wondering why someone who is not an agent of the government should be getting such treatment if not that he is collaborating with Hon. Chukwuemeka Lloyd. They wondered how a reasonable person would be encouraging the government to take what rightfully belongs to him if not that they are doing it for themselves.

 

They also said that their initial resistance, saw three of their members arrested and detained for three days by men of the Nigeria Police after which the case was charged to court where the magistrate granted them bail and set the next hearing for June 6, 2016.

 

According to one of those arrested, who is Mr. Regis Akagha, a popular music producer based in Imo State, they were arrested by weekend and kept in the cell till Monday. He said that till date, they do not know who arrested them and who took them to court and while they were alleging that the case was being pushed forward by the Permanent Secretary of Imo State Ministry of Lands and Urban Development, Mr, Regis Akagha said that there wasn’t a single government agent in the court when the Judge granted them bail.

 

He also revealed that so far, the Ministry of Lands had never said anything as it regards to the land dispute and if the said ancestral land had actually been acquired by the state government, they would have seen the real government agents, rather than the faceless miscreants who are being sponsored by one of their own.

 

They called on the state government through the relevant authorities to intervene when the dispute had not escalated as they would do anything possible to protect the land their ancestors had handed over to them.

Also Read:  A Beauty Gone Too Soon: Nigerian Ambassador To Sao Tome, Ambassador Queen Worlu Dies

According to the newspaper publications, Hon. Chukwuemaka Lloyd denied involvement in the matter, saying: “I am a legislator and does not belong to the executive arm of the government, I couldn’t have acquired or invaded any land as it is not part of my legislative duty”

 

Meanwhile another group Izu Umunaze in the community through a publication on Nigerian Horn Newspaper, May 13-15 Edition, said the lawmaker had nothing to do with the land dispute, adding that the case belong to the Forestry department of the Ministry of Environment.

In the same publication, the group who cleared the lawmaker of wrong doings alleged by the Ezumezu Naze, admitted that the land belonged to the entire community and not the government.

 

“As a matter of fact, the said land in question is a communal land which position cannot be decided by these people [Ezumezu Naze]” they were quoted on the publication.

 

The Ezumezu Naze then asked why members of the community and others like Chibo Mezu and Iyke Okeigboanananwa who are not agents of the government will be guarded by the police while their land and properties worth millions of Naira were being bulldozed and while their lawmaker Hon Chukwuemeka Lloyd who was supposed to be the voice of the people have not spoken against the act.

 

They called on him to speak out on the matter and condemn it in words and action if he really has nothing to do with it. They then called on the state Ministry of Lands and all agents of the government involved, to act in time, before the case would escalate to another level.

Share
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Fresh Trouble For Alex Otti

Published

on

Alex Otti

Political troubles eventually sink all politicians. This is something which Alex Otti has found out.

Once favoured to become the governor of Abia State, that dream is yet to become a reality.

Though still hoping, the man’s chances have continued to dwindle.

Otti, recently suffered a major setback in his political ambition when he got suspended indefinitely by his party, All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA), for anti-party activities.

Also Read:  Hard Times For Ex-Jonathan Aide, Dudafa

Though there have been questions concerning the legitimacy of the suspension, the possibility of his actualising the dream of becoming Abia state’s first citizen via APGA continues to look vague, especially with talks that he is more concerned about his interest than that of the party having being raised.

 

Share
Continue Reading

Politics

Happy Times For Peter Obi

Published

on

Peter Obi

 

A loss such as the office of the Vice President would make any man sober.

Peter Obi, the vice presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), in the last election is not an exception to this rule.

Since the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), declared President Muhammadu Buhari winner of the election, Obi has not had a reason to celebrate.

Also Read:  Lagos APC Excited As Jumoke Okoya-Thomas Takes Over As New Woman Leader

However, he had no choice but to clear his head of issues such as lawyers and tribunal when he added a year to his age yesterday.

Devoid of a carnival-like celebration, the shindig to celebrate the former Anambra State governor at 58 still brought smiles to his face.

 

Share
Continue Reading

Politics

Presidential Poll: PDP Closes Case With 62 Witnesses

Published

on

Political Parties

The Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, on Friday, July 19 closed his case at the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Abuja.

The duo of Abubakar and the PDP closed their case after calling 62 witnesses out of the 400 earlier speculated would testify in the case.

Abubakar is challenging the outcome of the February 23, presidential election on the grounds that the result of the election was manipulated to favour President Muhammad Buhari of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Closing the case, Chris Uche SAN, informed the tribunal that they would not be calling any other witness after former Osita Chidoka, the 62nd witness had finished testifying for the petitioner.

Chidoka, a former Corp Marshal FRSC informed the tribunal that he was the National Collation Agent and Head of PDP Situation Room for the February 23, 2019 presidential election.

He admitted that he was not there when results were transmitted as well as not seening the INEC server. However, the witness told the tribunal that the INEC Chairman, Mahmoud Yakubu had consistently told them at various times during meetings that a server would be used for the purpose of electronic transmission of results.

Also Read:  MARINE PLATFORM BOSS TAOFEEK ADEGBITE’S WIFE TOSIN IN THE EYE OF THE STORM

Chidoka said he was there when the results were collated by INEC, and that it was done manually.

Though he could not disclose the serial number of the server in which results were transmitted to by party agents, however he reminded the INEC counsel that card reader was not mentioned in their meeting with Mahmood Yakubu but it was used in the election.

Responding to questions from Yakubu Maikyau, counsel to the APC, Chidoka revealed that the INEC Chairman had told him and other stakeholders during meetings prior to the 2019 general elections that they should assume the election was being conducted under the new electoral act, (which was later not signed into law).

He wondered why the commission spent a whooping N27billion on Information Technology, only to come out and tell Nigerians that it did not deploy server for the purpose of electronic transmission of election results.

Chidoka also told the tribunal that the INEC Chairman had told him that it would be immoral for the electoral body not to use electronic transmission of results after N27bn had been spent on IT facilities and equipment.

Earlier, David Nyoga from Kenya, had testified at against the election of President Muhammad Buhari.
Nyoga, an expert in information technology, told the tribunal that from his expert analysis, four websites were discovered to belong to INEC.
Upon cross-examination by counsel to Buhari, Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN), the witness said his analysis was based on data supplied by a whistle blower.
The witness further told the tribunal that the information contained in the report of his analysis were extracts made from three of the four websites.

Also Read:  Transcorp Posts Strong Half-Year Results, Records 134% Growth in Profit

He confirmed that “Fact.Com was created on March 12, against the February 23 presidential election.

Under cross examination by counsel to All Progressives Congress (APC), Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), the witness maintained that INEC chairman can authorise access to the server.

On whether he was engaged and paid for the job, the witness answered that only the logistics for the job were paid for.
“I was not paid but logistics were paid for.”
However, he admitted that he was not granted access to the site by INEC chairman.

He also admitted that the same scientific method, without authorisation, can be used to alter the information contained on the website.

Share
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending

Copyright © 2019, February13 Media