Connect with us

News

Chibok girls in tearful reunion with families

Published

on

 

Some of the 21 Nigerian schoolgirls abducted by the armed group Boko Haram have reunited with their families, following their release after 30 months in captivity.

Cries of joy filled the room as the freed girls, who had been kidnapped along with more than 200 other pupils in the town of Chibok in April 2014, met their relatives in Abuja on Sunday.

The girls were freed on Thursday, but it took days for most of the families to reach the capital for the reunion.

At the meeting, the parents of one of the girls spoke of their excitement at seeing their daughter.

“When we heard they found some of the girls, and that our daughter was among them, we slept as if the day is not going to break,” Muta Abana, a father of one of the Chibok girls, told The Associated Press news agency.

Also Read:  Read About The Technology Dangote Is Adopting For Its Lekki Refinery  

“We wanted the day to break quickly, to see if the government is going to call us, to come and see that our daughter was among them.”

Hawa Abana, the mother, said that Boko Haram abducted her daughter and hundreds of other schoolgirls, because “they did not want them to succeed in life”.

“By God’s grace she is back,” she said. “She will go back to school. Boko Haram has no power again.”

Eleanor Nwadinobi, women and girls manager at the Nigeria Stability and Recognition Programme, said the girls will now undergo treatment which must be tailored to individual needs, including trauma counselling and health and nutritional requirements.

Also Read:  Who Wants To Be A Millionaire May Gets New Presenter-Femi Ayeni***Airopay Turns New Sponsor

“It is important that they are not attended to in isolation,” she told Al Jazeera.

“They will need individual attention as the needs of one girl will differ from the other.”

A government spokesman said he was not aware if a ransom was paid for the release of the 21 Chibok girls [AP]

Also on Sunday, a presidential spokesman said a splinter branch of Boko Haram is now willing to negotiate the release of 83 more of the girls.

“The faction said it is ready to negotiate if the government is willing to sit down with them,” Garba Shehu, spokesman for President Muhammadu Buhari, told Reuters news agency.

Share
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

ICPC Declares Obono-Obla Wanted

Published

on

Okoi Obono-Obla

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has declared the former chairman of the Special Investigation Panel for the Recovery of Public Property (SPIP), Okoi Obono-Obla, wanted.

The agency, The Cable reported on Tuesday, said that it took the decision because of Obono-Obla’s “repeated failure to appear before it to answer questions bordering on allegations of fraud and corruption.”

Share
Also Read:  PROMASIDOR SHINES WITH COWBELLPEDIA
Continue Reading

News

Court Grants FG Request For Interim Forfeiture Of Maina’s 23 Properties

Published

on

Maina

A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has granted an order of interim forfeiture of 23  properties belonging to Abdulrasheed Maina.

Justice Folashade Giwa-Ogunbanjo gave the order on Tuesday, October 22, after hearing an exparte application filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

Maina was the Chairman of the defunct Pension Reform Task Team.

Also Read:  5 things Nigerian dads do on road trips

The court also made an order directing the publication of the Interim Order of Forfeiture in any national daily newspaper inviting any person(s) or body(ies) who may have interest in the assets and properties listed in the schedule to show cause, within 14 days of such publication, why a Final Order of forfeiture to the Federal Government of Nigeria of the said assets and properties should not be made.

Also Read:  CDQ Cries Out After Losing Expensive Pendant

The exparte motion was moved by M.S Abubakar.

It was brought pursuant to section 17(1) and (3) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act 2006.

Share
Continue Reading

News

Court Orders Forfeiture Of Saraki’s Ikoyi Properties

Published

on

Trouble

A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has ordered the temporary forfeiture of two properties of Bukola Saraki, a former Senate President of Nigeria.

The properties are located at 17A McDonald Road, Ikoyi, Eti Osa local government, Lagos state.

Nnaemeka Omewa,  counsel to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission ( EFCC), had approached the court, seeking an order of interim forfeiture of the properties.

According to Omewa, they were acquired through “proceeds of unlawful activities”.

Part of the reliefs sought by the EFCC included “An order of this honourable Court forfeiting to the Federal Government of Nigeria landed property with appurtenances situate, lying and known as No. 17A McDonald Road, Ikoyi, Eti Osa Local Government Area of Lagos State found and recovered from the respondent which property is reasonably suspected to have been acquired with proceeds of unlawful activity”.

Also Read:  Meet the woman with the biggest boobs in the world

According to the commission, while serving as governor of Kwara state, Saraki allegedly withdrew over N12 billion cash from the account of the Kwara government and paid the same into his accounts domiciled in Access and Zenith Banks through one of his personal assistant, Abdul Adama.

Delivering ruling on the application, Mohammed Liman, the presiding judge, ordered interim forfeiture of the two properties.

Also Read:  Sorrow, Pain Engulfs Dapo Abiodun

He also instructed that the EFCC should publish the order in a national newspaper within 14 days, for anyone with interest in the properties to show cause, why they should not be finally forfeited to the federal government.

Recall that the federal government had arraigned Saraki at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) while he was Senate President.

He was accused of failing to declare his assets, an allegation he denied, before the supreme court subsequently dismissed the false assets declaration trial.

Share
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending

Copyright © 2019, February13 Media