Connect with us

News

Stockpile Arms: Amosun Claims GEJ Approved, Gov. Abiodun Supplied Weapons, Ammunition

Published

on

Former Governor of Ogun State, Senator Ibikunle Amosun has reacted to criticisms trailing him in the wake of a stockpiled of arms and ammunition handed over to the state Commissioner of Police.

In a statement, Amosun’s revealed that his government legitimately purchased the 13 units of Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs), 1000 units of AK 47 rifles, two million rounds of ammunition,1000 units of bullet proof vests and 500 bullet proof helmets and other security communication gadgets.

The statement released by his spokesperson, Rotimi Durojaiye, on Thursday, June 27, further revealed that the government received approval from the Office of the National Security Adviser to former president Goodluck Jonathan.

Amosun recalled that in 2012, his administration had committed “substantial funds” for the procurement of hard and software to combat the myriad of security challenges being faced by the state. Amosun pointed out that in April 2012, the security gadgets were publicly handed over to the then IGP, Mohammed Abubakar. He said it was the remainder of gadgets that had been handed over to the commissioner of police on May 28, but clarified that “Not a single AK 47 rifle was handed over at the event.”

Also Read:  Breaking News: Amosun Reinstates Suspended NLC Boss

Furthermore, Amosun added that Dapo Abiodun, the present governor of Ogun state, was the main supplier of some of the security assets, including the Armoured Personnel Carriers which he reportedly handed over to the police at the expiration of his tenure.

However, Abiodun, reacting through his chief press secretary, Abiodun Kunle Somorin, wondered why his name would be mentioned by his predecessor in what he referred to as an “arms scandal”. He said: “I read of Armoured Personnel Carriers – vehicles, not arms or ammunition. Did he default in supplying according to the terms of the contract? “What’s the motivation for bringing the governor’s name into the arms scandal? I consider it distracting or part of the grand plot to smear Dapo Abiodun,” the statement read.

Also Read:  Who Is behind Kemi Adeosun's Jolly Political Ride?

Meanwhile, spokesman to President Mohammadu Buhari, Garbau Shehu has stated that preliminary investigation by IGP Mohammed Adamu showed that there was no sinister motive in Amosun’s action.

Share
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

FRSC Blames Low Literacy For High Rates Of Road Crashes

Published

on

Literacy

 

The Kastina State Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), Ali Tanimu, has blamed the low level of literacy for the high rate of road crashes on highways.

Tanimu stated this during an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday, February 18.

Speaking in Katsina, he said that most drivers do not understand the Highway Code.

His word: ‘’They either don’t buy them or they do not care to read and understand it. Most of the crashes are avoidable if the motorists will abide by the laid down traffic rules and regulations,’’ he said.

‘’Due to the nature of our roads, some drivers overtake on a bridge, sharp bends or hilly areas where they cannot see far distance. ‘’In most cases, what will happen is either the vehicle will jump into the bridge or it will have a head-on collision with another vehicle,’’ he said.

Also Read:  Gembu: Sweet Adventure for the Fearless

The sector commander further said that making phone calls while driving also contributes to high rates of accidents on highways.

‘’Some of the drivers even went to the extent of checking or writing SMS text messages while driving, and the worst part of it, is that the passengers will just keep quiet,’’ he said

According to the sector commander, some drivers mix and overloads human beings with animals or goods, and drive at high speed. According to him, in such circumstances, when there is an accident, it will be fatal. He thus advised drivers not exceed 100-speed limits for the safety of passengers.

Also Read:  How senator Ibikunle Amosun Celebrated Wife's Golden Jubilee

‘’If you want to travel far, you should have to start the journey in good time to avoid overspending.”

The sector commander further urged motorists to ensure that their vehicles have good headlamps if they want to travel in the night; good tyres and no mechanical fault, explaining that all those are contained in the code, as such drivers should endeavour to study it.

Share
Continue Reading

News

APC Names Sponsor Of Protest At Justice Odili’s House

Published

on

Protest

The All Progressive Congress (APC), has denied being responsible for sponsoring the protest staged at the residence of Justice Mary Odili.

A protest held in front of Justice Odili’s house over the verdict on the Bayelsa governorship election.

According to APC’s Deputy Spokesperson, Yekini Nabena, the PDP and Governor Nysome Wike sponsored the protest to tarnish the image of the APC in Bayelsa.

Also Read:  Amosun Honours First Nigerian Professor of Medicine, Ogunlesi

Nabena also added that the leadership of the APC had called on the party’s supporters not to engage in violence. He revealed that all legal avenues to reclaim the mandate are already being considered.

Justice Odili gave the Supreme Court’s verdict which sacked APC’s David Lyon as the governor-elect of Bayelsa state.

Also Read:  Osoba, Loyalist Dumps APC; Set To Launch Action Group Of Nigeria (AGN)

Following the verdict, a protest linked to APC supporters was staged at the residence of the revered judge in Abuja.

The judgment paved the way for the emergence of People Democratic (PDP) candidate Douye Diri as the new Bayelsa governor.

 

Share
Continue Reading

News

Sowore, Bakare’s Fundamental Rights Suit Court Adjourned Till March 25

Published

on

Fundamental Suit

The fundamental rights suit filed by Omoyele Sowore and Olawale Bakare has been adjourned till March 25 for hearing.

Justice Inyang Ekwo of the Federal High Court, Abuja, adjourned the application seeking the enforcement of fundamental rights filed by the duo of Sowore and Bakare.

The judge adjourned the matter after the regularisation of the processes by all parties involved in the case.

Also Read:  98 girls report sexual abuse by French soldiers and UN peacekeepers in Central African Republic

On November 15 and 20, 2019, the activists, filed separate suits marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1407/2019 and FHC/ABJ/CS/1428/2019.

They are challenging the Director-General of the Department of State Services (DSS), Yusuf Bichi, and Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), for their illegal arrest and detention.

Sowore and Bakare asked the court to order the DSS to pay them N500m each as damages for their detention and violation of fundamental rights.

Share
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending

Copyright © 2019, February13 Media