Connect with us

News

COVID-19: SANWO-OLU SHUTS DOWN MARKET, REDUCES SOCIAL, RELIGIOUS GATHERINGS TO 25 PERSONS

Published

on

NEW TELEGRAPH

…Lagos Not On Lockdown, Gov Insists

…Drug Shops, Food Sellers Not Affected By Directive

Lagos State Government, on Tuesday, took more restrictive measures to break the cycle of transmission of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the State. Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu directed all markets and stores trading in non-essential commodities to close for seven days.

The directive takes effect from Thursday, March 26.

Also, the Governor reduced the number of people that must participate in a public gathering at any given time from 50 to 25.

Sanwo-Olu disclosed that he had instructed the Chief Judge of the State, Justice Kazeem Alogba, to close all High and Magistrate courts across the State from Thursday to support the efforts being made to stop the epidemic.

Other public places shut by the Government include parks, playgrounds and recreational centres within the State, regardless of ownership.

In a televised briefing after State’s Security Council meeting held at the State House in Marina, Sawno-Olu said the restrictive measures were necessary, given the rise in the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Lagos. He said the directive should not be seen a lockdown on business activities in the State.

The directives, the Governor said, did not affect pharmacy shops and all markets where food stuffs are traded. Eateries and restaurants must not accept eat-in customers; they are to serve food in take-away packages, the Governor said.

Also Read:  COVID-19: Group Flays Agip Oil Company Limited For Flouting Safety Measure

Sanwo-Olu said the Government would be opening markets in schools across the State where food items could be purchased in the restrictive period to prevent panic buying. He said the guidelines would be reviewed after it lapses for next line of action.

The Governor said the State had been proactive and prompt in tracking, isolating and managing the suspected cases, adding that the conditions of all confirmed cases were stable at the Infectious Diseases Hospital (IDH) in Yaba.

He said: “Today, we are taking further measures and giving new directives and guidelines to stop the spread of coronavirus in our State. All open markets and stores are directed to close for seven days, except for sellers of food and medicines, medical equipment and other essential life-saving products. For those that fall into the aforementioned categories, it is imperative that they observe necessary precautionary measures of social distancing.

“The Chief Judge of Lagos has been directed to ensure that all Magistrate and High Courts in the State close immediately to the public and suspend all court sittings. As may be possible, all essential services should be transacted electronically.

Also Read:  20 men define qualities of their ideal wife material

“Also, all public parks, including those in private and residential estates, swimming pools, gyms, beauty salons, and all such public places are expected to shut down at this time, until further notice.”

The Governor urged inter-state commuters, either by air or road, to refrain from travel this period. This, he said, falls within the Federal Government’s guidelines.

“As much as possible, let us all refrain from inter-state travelling of any kind, until the worst of the crisis is behind us,” he said.

Sanwo-Olu advised the organised private sector to take drastic steps as done by the Government of the public sector and allow non-essential workers to work from home.

Banks and other financial institutions, Sanwo-Olu advised, must prioritise online channels for their services to the public, saying only essential and key senior staff should be allowed to work in the office during restriction period.

The Governor said anyone caught flouting the new directives, as well as the previous guidelines, would face the full wrath of the law.

He said: “Law enforcement agencies and other relevant Lagos State protection agencies have been given clear orders to deal with recalcitrant offenders. We will not relent in ensuring strict compliance with our directives.

Share
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Mosques, Churches To Reopen On June 19, 21

Published

on

Churches

Religious activities will resume in Lagos State on Friday, June 19, and 21 respectively.

According to a new directive by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the ban on religious activities will cease in the state on June 19 and 21.

Muslim services to resume on Friday, June 19, while Christian worship begins on Sunday, June, 21

Also Read:  COVID-19: Cases May Rise To 120, 000 By July- Lagos State Govt Predicts

The directive however restricts children below the age 15 of 15 from attending such religious gatherings with gatherings restricted to only Fridays and Sundays.

Share
Continue Reading

News

Godswill Akpabio Failed To Deliver On 500 Million Contract-Senator Peter Nwaoboshi

Published

on

Contract

Senator Peter Nwaoboshi, the chairman of the Senate Committee on Niger Delta has accused the minister of Niger Delta affairs, Godswill Akpabio of getting a N300 million fence construction contract from the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).

 

According to The Cable, while still the senator representing Akwa Ibom north-west, Akpabio requested for a N500 million contract from the NDDC in 2017. The Minister was reportedly given the contract of fencing Federal Polytechnic Ukana, Akwa Ibom, (N200 million), and Federal Government College, Ikot Ekpene (N100 million).

 

The publication reported that Akpabio got N150 million for entrepreneurship training on the use of modern farming implements for youths and women of Akwa Ibom north-west senatorial district and N50 million for the renovation of a hostel at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu state.

Also Read:  COVID-19: Group Flays Agip Oil Company Limited For Flouting Safety Measure

 

Akpabio got N300m fence construction contract from NDDC - Senator Peter Nwaoboshi

 

Speaking to newsmen on Wednesday, June 3, Senator Nwaoboshi said the contracts were fully paid for but there was nothing to show for it.

 

He said:

 

“Findings show that while there was no physical evidence of implementation of these projects, checks show contracts were awarded and fully paid for.

“Such practices have turned the region to sites of abandoned projects.”

 

This is coming after Akpabio said he would not allow the NDDC to be raped under his watch. A few days ago, the former Governor of Akwa Ibom state raised an alarm about NDDC abandoned projects and the agency being “turned to an ATM” by politicians.

Also Read:  COVID-19: Kano State Is In Trouble-Ganduje

 

Akpabio said;

 

“We have also had a lot of political interference, people have not allowed NDDC to work as it ought to, people coming with ideas not to move the region forward but to move their pockets forward. It has always been so… I think people were treating the place as an ATM, where you just walk in there to go and pluck money and go away, I don’t think they were looking at it as an interventionist agency.”

Share
Continue Reading

News

Man Beat Four Year-Old Son To Coma

Published

on

Beat

A man simply identified as Tunde has been arrested by men of the Lagos state police command.

He was arrested for beating his four-year-old son, Ezekiel, to a state of coma, leaving him with several body marks.

The father of the boy reportedly got angry because he excreted on himself.

Man arrested for beating his four-year-old son to coma in Lagos (photos)

Neighbors revealed that Ezekiel’s mum and his father Tunde were married for a few years until she left him over constant acts of domestic violence. She initially left with Ezekiel but later returned him to his father who had already remarried.

Also Read:  COVID-19: Chris Oyakhilome Makes U-turn, Slams FG

A neighbor told The Nation that Ezekiel was always being maltreated by Tunde and his new wife.

“Tunde married another wife and the woman always beat Ezekiel at every little provocation. Nobody in the neighbourhood could stop Tunde from beating the boy because of his unruly behaviour,” the neighbor said

Confirming his arrest, the Igando Divisional Police Officer, CSP Taiwo Kasumu said:

“We have arrested him and the child is with us. Though the child can’t be with us; I have contacted the Lagos State Child Protection Unit for further action.”

Share
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending

Copyright © 2019, February13 Media