Connect with us

Politics

Atiku Mobiliser condemns clampdown on Shiite protesters

Published

on

Political Parties

***Calls for immediate release of El-Zakzaky

The Acting National Coordinator of The Atiku Advancement Project, Barr. Soalabo West has condemned the security clampdown on the Shiite protesters who took to the streets of Abuja last week to demand the release of imprisoned Shia cleric, Sheik Ibrahim El Zakzaky.

In a statement made available to newsmen in Abuja, Barr. West warned that the crackdown on unarmed protesters put lives at risk and does not bode well for the nation’s nascent democracy which entrenches rule of law.

It was reported that several security officers from the army, police as well as civil defence on Monday dispersed the protesters as eyewitnesses said the officers fired teargas and gun shots into the air.

Also Read:  Jimi Agbaje, Jide Sanwoolu Spend Time Together

Videos and footage have also been released by eyewitnesses showing the dispersal of the protesters and how the law enforcement agencies were brutalizing them.

In the same vein, the ex-Rivers State Governorship aspirant has called for the immediate release of Ibrahim Zakzaky, tasking President Muhammadu Buhari to uphold the rule of law and obey court order, which has long ruled that the Shiite leader be freed.

Recall that President Buhari-led government has kept the Shiite leader in custody since 2015 when his group had an encounter with a convoy of the Chief of Army Staff Tukur Buratai, leading to the massacre of about 300 Shiite members, including Mr. El-Zakzaky’s sons. The cleric’s wife has also been detained since then.

Also Read:  Impeachment Saga: NBA Epe Lauds Lagos House Of Assembly, APC Stakeholders, National Leader For Peaceful Resolution

“It is very sad that in this 21st century and democratic dispensation, peaceful protesters are still being clamped down. I believe that the Shiites should be allowed to exercise their inalienable rights to engage in demonstration provided it doesn’t pose security threats.

“They are human beings like us and they are also bonafide citizens of our dear country. Their fundamental human rights to religion, association etc should not be violated under Buhari-led government.

“As for the release of El-Zakzaky, on behalf of The Atiku Advancement Project, I urge President Buhari to be a law-abiding leader, have some respect for the judiciary, obey court order and immediately free El-Zakzaky,” West said.

 

Share
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Court Order Threatens Deputy Senate President’s Seat

Published

on

Court Order

The testimony of a witness called by the All Progressive Congress (APC), in the ongoing National Assembly election tribunal sitting in Asaba is threatening the seat of the Deputy Senate President, Ovie Omo-Agege.

The witness, Adehor Ochuko Albert, posited that there was a court order and judgment restraining APC from submitting names of candidates to Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the 2019 general elections.

In 2018 an order by Justice Toyin Adegoke of the Federal High Court, Asaba, Delta State had restrained APC in the state from submitting the list of candidates to INEC.

Also Read:  Burna Boy React To Naira Marley's Yahoo Yahoo Controversy

 

However, the Prophet Jones Erue’s faction of the APC submitted a list of candidates to INEC on October 18, 2018.

 

A petition filed by Oboro Evelyn Omavowan, and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is seeking to quash the election of Omo-Agege based on the flagrant abuse and disregard of the court order.

Also Read:  Wike Budgets N100b of Rivers' Money for Anti-Amaechi Campaigns – Eze

 

According to the suit, Omo-Agege wasn’t qualified to contest the election, as the order by Justice Adegoke was contravened.

 

In a petition filed by Oboro Evelyn Omavowan, and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) at the election tribunal, APC was sued as the third respondent, while INEC and Omo-Agege Ovie Augustine were sued as first and second respondents, respectively.

 

 

 

 

 

Share
Continue Reading

Politics

REFLECT THE SPIRIT OF LAGOS – SANWO-OLU CHARGES LAGOSIANS IN ABUJA …Visits The State Liaison Office

Published

on

History

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Tuesday charged Lagosians living in Abuja to reflect the spirit of Lagos and be law abiding as they live peacefully in the Federal Capital Territory, FCT.

 

Speaking to newsmen after a tour of the Lagos House which has the staff of the State liaison office in Abuja, Mr Sanwo-Olu urged Lagos citizens to be good ambassadors of the State.

 

He said, “I can only wish our people that reside in Abuja well, Nigeria is big for all of us. My advice is just for them to be law abiding, to continue to reflect the spirit of Lagos, continue to be good ambassadors of state.

 

“Our Government is open to them if they have good suggestions or ideas, I am in the liaison office they can drop whatever suggestions they have for us and certainly it will get to us and by the time they hear news about Lagos, it will be good news,” Sanwo-Olu promised.

 

On his visit to the Liaison Office, the Governor said it was imperative that he comes to the office to see his staff and have a firsthand feel of their working environment, feel their pulse and make them understand what the new government stands for.

 

According to him, “as a Governor I have got to see my office in Abuja, and also to know the staff and see the environment they work because they are part of us and they will reflect who we are and what we stand for as a state and as a government.

 

“The least I can do is to come around and feel their pulse to see the people that have my ears and listen to them. That is the least I can do,” the Governor added. 

 

Mr Sanwo-Olu is the first Governor to visit the State liaison office and this created excitement amongst staff and occupants of the four-storey building in the Central Area of Abuja.

 

Share
Also Read:  Burna Boy React To Naira Marley's Yahoo Yahoo Controversy
Continue Reading

News

INEC Received N1.47bn For Servers For 2019 Presidential Elections

Published

on

Received

The server mess which the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has been drawn into is getting worse by the day.

According to a report by Premium Times, INEC received N1.47bn for servers for 2019 Presidential elections.

However, the commission continues to maintain that it doesn’t have a server and never transmitted results of the election electronically.

Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of PDP, had said that he won the February 23 presidential election based on the results he got from INEC’s servers.

The report by Premium Times indicates that the INEC received N1.47 billion to replace and maintain computer servers for use during the 2019 general elections. The online medium reported that it was not clear how the servers, which store computer data, were used during the polls, adding that the finding raises fresh concerns over the commission’s recent claim it had no server for the elections.

Also Read:  Impeachment Saga: NBA Epe Lauds Lagos House Of Assembly, APC Stakeholders, National Leader For Peaceful Resolution

INEC is being trailed by a controversy, as it tries to refute claims that it operated a central computer database that received election results.

Recall that the electoral commission declared Buhari winner of the February 16 election but Abubakar, his main challenger, rejected the decision, saying his victory was suppressed by INEC.

Also Read:  Inspector Of Police Wants To Kill Me, Dino Melaye Alleges

The INEC has disputed Abubakar’s claims, and has denied transmitting election results electronically or saving them on a server. The online medium claimed to have seen details of INEC’s budget for the 2019 elections, adding that the spending plan shows the electoral body collected from the federal government N1.47 billion for servers. Though, it requested for N2.27 billion. It was not clear whether the servers were used for the elections or whether election results were transmitted electronically.

Share
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending

Copyright © 2019, February13 media