Connect with us

Opinion

Super Eagles Star, Mikel Obi Retires From National Team

Published

on

Nigerian international and Super Eagles captain, Mikel Obi, has announced his retirement from the team.

The midfielder announced the end of his international sojourn in an Instagram post on Thursday, July 17.

Announcing his retirement, the 32 year-old player wrote: “Egypt is a country where I’ve started and have finished my National career. In 2006 I played my first official championship for my Country. 2019 African Cup of Nations marks my last championship for National Team with Super Eagles.

“My national career started in 2003 under 17 World Cup and I’m grateful for the national team for placing me on the world arena and giving me an opportunity to show my skill and have an incredible National and International career,”  he wrote.

Prior to the Egypt tourney, Mikel Obi had insinuated that the 2019 African Cup of Nations was very likely to be his last.

Also Read:  World Cup: Jumia Nigeria to Reward Football Fans for Supporting the Super Eagles

“Thank you to all my Nigerian supporters and to my Country for all the trust, support and love you’ve shown me over the past 15 years. Mikel am out! ,” he added.

View this post on Instagram

Egypt is a country where I’ve started and have finished my National career. In 2006 I played my first official championship for my Country. 2019 African Cup of Nations marks my last championship for National Team with Super Eagles. My national career started in 2003 under 17 World Cup and I’m grateful for the national team for placing me on the world arena and giving me an opportunity to show my skill and have an incredible National and International career. At the age of 32 it’s time for me to retire from the National team and let the youth take over, who’ve done an amazing job securing a bronze medal at AFCON 2019. Thank you to all my Nigerian supporters and to my Country for all the trust, support and love you’ve shown me over the past 15 years. Mikel am out!

A post shared by Mikel Obi (@mikel_john_obi) on

Mikel is now expected to join  Turkish side, Trabzonspor, for preseason having signed a two-year deal with an option for a further year earlier in July.

 

Share
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Opinion

See How Lauretta Onochie Explained Sowore Rearrest In Court

Published

on

Releases

President Buhari’s aide on Social Media, Lauretta Onochie has a unique explanation of Omoyele Sowore’s rearrest in court on Friday, December 6.

According to her, the rearrest was staged by Sowore’s supporters.

Lauretta said this in a writeup posted on her Facebook page.

See what she wrote below:

(more…)

Share
Also Read:  The Broken Woman: On Bended Knees By Blossom Obi
Continue Reading

Opinion

Why I Lost To Anthony Joshua–Ruiz Jr.

Published

on

Andy Ruiz Jr. has revealed what cost him the rematch against Anthony Joshua on Saturday, December 7.

Joshua and Ruiz Jnr. slogged it out in Saudi Arabia to confirm the holder of the heavyweight title won by Ruiz Jr from Joshua months earlier.

Speaking at the post match conference, Ruiz Jr. blamed months of partying and celebration leading to overweight, adding thst undertraining also made him lose the match to Joshua.

 “Three months of partying and celebrating affected me, what can I say?

“Being overweight, I wasn’t fluid enough, I wasn’t moving the way I wanted to move.

“I think if I’m lighter I’m going to let my hands go and be a completely different fighter.”

When asked what he would have done differently if granted a rematch against Anthony Joshua, he said;

 “Listen to my coach. Listen to my dad. And take it more seriously.

“I’m OK, I’m just a little disappointed. I should have listened to them.

“I tried to do the training on my own. I should have listened to them more.

“There’s no excuses…the partying and all that stuff got the best of me.

“For being out of shape I did pretty good, I took all his shots.”

Ruiz recognized that he lost a wide decision to Joshua but said he holds a victory too. He said the scores are tied with one win apiece and he wants a trilogy bout.

 “I know for the third one I’m going to be a lot better.”

He added: “There’s a lot of responsibility being a champion of the world. I think the partying and all that stuff got the best of me. Next time it’ll be a lot better.”

With the victory, British-Nigerian Joshua regains his IBF, WBA and WBO titles.

Also Read:  Nemesis: How Gunmen Killed Senator Elisha Abbo's Uncle, Kidnapped Stepmother

The bout which lasted until 12 rounds was scored 118-110, 118-110 and 119-109 by the judges.

Speaking on his victory, Joshua said:  “I wanted to put on a boxing masterclass.”

“First of all, thanks to God. The first time was so nice, I had to do it twice,” he said. 

“I knew I could win this. This is about boxing, I’m used to knocking guys out.

“I gave the man his credit, I said I would correct myself, I respect Andy, But I wanted to put on a boxing masterclass.

“It’s the sweet science, it’s about hitting and not getting hit.

“No change in mentalist, stay hungry and stay humble. I’m going to remain humble in victory. Thanks to Ruiz and his family, thanks to Saudi, the fans and thanks to God and Eddie Hearn.”

See more photos from the fight below:

Also Read:  The Broken Woman: On Bended Knees By Blossom Obi

See more photos from heavyweight boxing rematch as Anthony Joshua defeats Andy Ruiz to regain his titlesSee more photos from heavyweight boxing rematch as Anthony Joshua defeats Andy Ruiz to regain his titlesSee more photos from heavyweight boxing rematch as Anthony Joshua defeats Andy Ruiz to regain his titlesSee more photos from heavyweight boxing rematch as Anthony Joshua defeats Andy Ruiz to regain his titlesSee more photos from heavyweight boxing rematch as Anthony Joshua defeats Andy Ruiz to regain his titles

 

 

Share
Continue Reading

Opinion

BREAKING: Court Of Arbitration For Sports Lift Transfer Ban On Chelsea

Published

on

FIFA

Chelsea Football Club of England has found respite to the two years transfer ban imposed on them by the Federation of International Football (FIFA).

The Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS)  lifted the transfer embargo placed on Chelsea on Friday.

Chelsea had appealed an initial judgement that imposed the two-window transfer ban handed down by FIFA last February.

Also Read:  Xenophobia: Nigerian Prophet Chukwuemeka Odumeje Declares Spiritual War On South Africa

With the ban lifted, Chelsea can  now sign players during the transfer window.

Share
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending

Copyright © 2019, February13 Media