Connect with us

News

JUBILATION AS SANWO-OLU FLAGS OFF MASSIVE ROAD CONSTRUCTION IN IKORODU

Published

on

INNOVATION HUB

…Lagos Upgrades Ijede, Agric-Isawo And Bola Tinubu-Igbogbo Roads

A crowd of joyous residents of Ikorodu in Lagos State on Wednesday trooped out to receive Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu who was in the area to flag off massive rehabilitation and expansion of major roads.

Accompanied by the Deputy Governor, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, and members of the State’s cabinet, Sanwo-Olu formally kicked off the upgrading and reconstruction of Owutu-Agric-Isawo, Bola Tinubu-Igbogbo-Imota and Itamaga-Ijede roads, giving the residents the feeling of long sought relief.

The three road projects, which are expected to be completed in next 20 months, are being handled by Messrs Hitech Construction Company and Arab Contractor.

The 11.9 kilometres Ijede Road stretches from Ewu Elepe to Ijede town, cutting across four local councils and 37 communities. Governor Sanwo-Olu awarded contract for the construction of the first phase of the road, which covers 6.05 kilometres from Itamaga to Ewu Elepe town.

Also, the Governor officially flagged off the construction of the first phase of Owutu-Agric-Isawo Road, covering 7.8 kilometres and cutting across eight communities. It is being upgraded to a dual carriageway.

Sanwo-Olu said: “Today’s event is remarkable not just for me personally, but for my Government and the people of Ikorodu who will directly benefit from this project. The flag-off of these projects is the beginning of the much needed relief we are bringing to our people on this axis.

“We are here today to fulfil the promise we made during campaign. These promises are now being translated to reality, because we have the construction of these roads. We have ensured that we deploy competent and reliable contractors to design and deliver the projects on agreed date.”

Governor Sanwo-Olu described Ikorodu as critical component of the Lagos project, assuring residents that his administration remained committed to reviving infrastructure in the Division.

“Ikorodu is critical and important to our agenda towards delivering Greater Lagos. This is why I personally created the time to come and flag off these projects,” Sanwo-Olu said.

The Governor said the projects were not being done to score cheap political point; rather, he said his Government considered them as right of the people who had been longing to benefit from dividends of governance.

After the completion of the first phase of the project, Sanwo-Olu assured that the Government would not delay the construction of the second phase.

The road projects, the Governor disclosed, would create a chain of job opportunities for residents living around the sites, pointing out that the contractors had agreed to engage community members in informal work and supply of materials.

Special Adviser to the Governor on Works and Infrastructure, Engr. Aramide Adeyoye, said apart from bringing relief to the residents, the projects would also eliminate problem of flooding on the axis and improve social-economic wellbeing.

She said: “These projects are being carried out to improve road connectivity, ease traffic flow, reduce travel time, enhance intermodal transportation services and safety of lives and property. They will be designed to eliminate perennial flooding, enhance property value and socio-economic wellbeing of the people.”

She appealed to the residents to cooperate with the contractors and be patient as work progresses on the projects, noting that there would be inconveniences in the course of the construction exercise.

When completed, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Works and Infrastructure, Mr. Jimi Hotonu, said the Owutu-Agric-Isawo and Ijede-Ewu Elepe Roads will have array of streetlights, bicycle lanes and other facilities to give residents comfort.

 

Share
Also Read:  WAYS TO INCREASE WORK PRODUCTIVITY
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Four Journalists Die In Auto Accident

Published

on

Auto Accident

At least four Nigerian journalists lost their lives in a motor accident on Wednesday night on Airport Road, Uyo, Akwa Ibom.

The journalists were on their way to support another colleague who was getting married when the accident happened.

The deceased reportedly worked for Akwa Ibom Newspaper Corporation, publishers of Pioneer Newspaper.

Also Read:  NFF renews Stephen Keshi's contract

Ibanga Isine, an investigative journalist said: “We mourn with our colleagues in the Pioneer Chapel of the NUJ, Akwa Ibom State Council.”

One of them, who survived but is receiving treatment at a General Hospital, Ituk Mbang said the driver who probably was on speed lost control of the vehicle while trying to negotiate a bend, causing the bus to somersault.

Also Read:  ‘SPECIAL STATUS FOR LAGOS, BEST WAY TO HONOUR MOBOLAJI JOHNSON’ - SANWO-OLU

Corpses of those confirmed dead have been deposited in a morgue.

Those who survived, including the driver were said to be admitted to the emergency care unit of the hospital for treatment of various degrees of injuries they sustained.

Share
Continue Reading

News

Why Aisha Buhari Is Demanding Mallam Garba Shehu’s Resignation

Published

on

The resignation of Mallam Garba Shehu,  the Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, has been demanded by the First Lady, Hajia Aisha Buhari.

Hajia Buhari made the demand in a statement she personally signed and released in the early hours of Wednesday.

She accused the presidential spokesman of taking instruction from President Buhari’s cousin, Mamman Daura, in the early days of the Administration, to declare that there will not be the Office of the First Lady, a development she said embarrassed her husband.

She also accused him of releasing the video in which she had an altercation with the Daura family to the press, adding that his loyalty is not to anyone or group.

The statement, titled: “Garba Shehu Has Gone Beyond His Boundaries,” reads in full:

Nigeria’s development is hinged on the ability of public officials to execute their mandates professionally and to be shining examples in their various areas of endeavor. It is not a good sign when officials abandoned their responsibility and start clutching at straws.

As a spokesperson of the President, he has the onerous responsibility of managing the image of the President and all the good works that he is executing in the country. Rather than face this responsibility squarely, he has shifted his loyalty from the President to others who have no stake in the compact that the President signed with Nigerians on May 29, 2015, and 2019.

To make matters worse, Mr. Shehu has presented himself to these people like a willing tool and executioner of their antics, from the corridors of power even to the level of interfering with the family affairs of the President. This should not be so.

The blatant meddling in the affairs of the First Lady of a country is a continuation of the prodigal actions of those that he serves. We all remember that the chief proponent appropriated to himself and his family a part of the Presidential Villa, where he stayed for almost 4 years and when the time came for him to leave, he orchestrated and invaded my family’s privacy through a video circulated by Mamman’s Daughter, Fatima, the public was given the impression that on arrival into the country I was locked out of the villa by Mr. President. Garba Shehu as Villa Spokesperson knew the truth and had the responsibility to set the records straight, but because his allegiance is somewhere else and his loyalty misplaced, he deliberately refused to clear the air and speak for the President who appointed him in the first place. Consequently, his action has shown a complete breakdown of trust between the First Family and him.

Mr. Shehu was privy and part of the plan and its execution and he was shocked when he realized that I had publicized my return to Nigeria on October 12, 2019, and cleared the air on the many rumors that took over social media, a job he was supposed to do but kept mute to cause more confusion and instability for his Principal and his family.

Also Read:  IVTEC Matriculates 123 Pioneer Students

Garba then, vented his anger on the National Television Authority (NTA) Management insisting that the media crew to my office must be sacked. He succeeded in getting them suspended for doing their job. I had to intervene to save the innocent staff from losing their means of livelihood by involving the Department of State Services (DSS) in order to ascertain roles played by key actors in the saga.

It is at this late hour that I recall, sadly, that it was the same Garba Shehu who claimed that the government will not allow the office of the First Lady to run. He was later to confirm to one of my aides that he was instructed to say so by Mamman Daura and not the President. This antic attracted the anger of Nigerian women. He didn’t realize the fact that First Lady’s office is a tradition that has become an institution.

Also Read:  Ministerial Forecast: Meet Some of Your Incoming Ministers

Today, even without a budget, I am able to run my humanitarian programmes.

In saner climes, Garba Shehu would have resigned immediately after going beyond his boundaries and powers.

GARBA SHEHU NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND THAT THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR WILL NO LONGER BE TOLERATED.

The latest of his antics was to wage a war on the first family through an orchestrated media campaign of calumny by sponsoring pseudo accounts to write and defame my children and myself.

Based on Garba Shehu’s misguided sense of loyalty and inability to stay true and loyal to one person or group, it has become apparent that all trust has broken down between him and my family due to the many embarrassments he has caused the Presidency and the first family. We all have families to consider in our actions and therefore it is in the best interest of all concerned for Garba Shehu to take the advice of the authority, given to him sometimes in the first week of November 2019.

Sources in the Presidential Villa said Mallam Shehu was advised to resign at the time.

The presidential spokesman was not available for comment on Wednesday.

Shehu was said to have traveled with President Buhari to Egypt for an official function.

Share
Continue Reading

News

House Of Reps To Investigate DSS Over Court Invasion

Published

on

Investigate

The House of Representatives has revealed that it will investigate the controversial invasion of a Federal High Court in Abuja by the Department of State Service (DSS) in a bid to rearrest Omoyele Sowore.

The decision was taken after minority leader, Ndudi Elumelu, raised the matter during plenary.

Channels TV reports that the House on Tuesday, December 10, mandated its committees to investigate the circumstances surrounding the re-arrest of Sowore after the minority leader, Ndudi Elumelu, raised the matter during plenary.

Also Read:  IVTEC Matriculates 123 Pioneer Students

The lawmaker faulted the reported action of the DSS as an abuse on the sanctity of the courtroom. He said the invasion of the courtroom by DSS operatives can be seen as one arm of government attempting to overpower another.

Share
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending

Copyright © 2019, February13 Media