Connect with us

News

Jonathan Rubbish Farida Waziri’s Claim On Removal From Office

Published

on

Attackers

Former President, Goodluck Jonathan has fired back at former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Farida Waziri, after she said she was removed as head of the anti-graft agency for going after oil thieves in her book ‘Farida Waziri: One Step Ahead’.

The former EFCC Chairman said before she was removed, she got a call from the Presidential Villa not to arrest the racketeers but she refused to be compromised on the case. Waziri also revealed that late Minister of Information Prof. Dora Akunyili knew of the plot to remove her and asked her to beg Jonathan, but she rejected the advice because it was totally against her “conscience and moral judgment.”

 

Waziri averred that former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Chief Pius Anyim offered her ambassadorial appointment in line with the agenda to oust her from office.

 

Excerpts from the book reads;

 

“The date was November 23, 2011. It didn’t take me by surprise. There had been rumblings and maneuverings in the recent past to guess such an end was in the offing. The last straw that broke the camel’s back was an EFCC operation in Lagos.

“The agency got a tip-off about some oil racketeers who were in Nigeria for dubious dealings. People of interest were going to move money into Lagos. The tip-off came from outside the country, one of our reliable foreigner(sic) agents. We flew into Lagos and organised the operation. Detectives moved to the target office, to conduct a search and bring the suspect to Abuja. At the time they got into the office, the target was not on seat.

“I’d asked the team to invite the accountant and to bring along the computers. Few minutes after the arrival of the accountant and the machines, I got a call from Aso Rock, the Presidential Villa.

“The message was an order: ”Release the man immediately!” My calm explanation to the voice from the villa was “The person you are calling for is not arrested; it is his accountant we invited here.” “Ok, let the accountant go.”

“That put me in a dilemma. We had acted on intelligence. We spent days planning the operation. And indeed, we had on our hands a good case complete with evidence. How do I explain to my operatives that the case has to be jettisoned because of a call from Aso Rock? How do I disabuse their minds from thinking I had compromised?

“I asked the detectives to take the accountant’s statement and release him on bail. While we were at it, the caller from the Villa interrupted us again with another order: “Release the computers to him.” He tried to justify this by claiming, “he contributed so much to the campaign of President Goodluck Jonathan.”

“At that point, I asked him: “Is this instruction from Mr. President? “ Yes, the voice affirmed. I played my last card: “I can release the man on bail, but I won’t release the computers. “How did it end?” “The outcome was my sack a few weeks later. I guess this and other events contributed to my removal, although other events took place before this.”

 

Also Read:  HOW I PREDICTED THE DEATH OF NIGERIA'S FIRST LADY'S MUM- DR. CHRIS OKAFOR

However in a statement released by Jonathan’s spokesperson Ikechukwu Eze, the former President debunked the claim and also stated that he retained her when he assumed office despite international calls for her sack.

 

Jonathan insisted that he had no personal issues with Mrs. Waziri but had to eventually let her go over national interest.

 

The statement reads;

 

”We read media reports credited to the former boss of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mrs. Farida Waziri, in which she claimed in her new book that she was removed from office by ex-President Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, because of her probe of some oil racketeers.

”We thought we had dealt with this matter, after promptly debunking similar statements she made in the past. In 2017 when she claimed that she lost her job because she ‘refused to back down from the probe of one of the masterminds of the fuel subsidy scam’, we quickly refuted and clarified the claim for the records, and even challenged her to name the individual or company in question.

”We had expected that a book from Mrs. Farida, coming years after the claim was first made, should have towed the path of honour by telling the truth for the benefit of history. Unfortunately, that still didn’t happen.

”It will be recalled that after assuming office as President on May 6, 2010, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan decided to retain Mrs. Waziri, who was appointed by his predecessor, late President Umaru Yar’Adua, as the head of the elite anti-crime agency. Despite obvious disenchantment from many Nigerians and mounting international pressure against Mrs. Waziri’s continued stay in office, the former President stood by her, in line with his conviction that every public officer should first be given the opportunity to deliver on his or her mandate.

”It must be pointed out that former President Jonathan had no personal issues with Mrs. Waziri. The former President had to eventually let her go in the national interest. Her removal therefore has a lot to do with reasons relating to Nigeria’s interest and global standing which details Dr. Goodluck Jonathan is obliged to keep as state secret in our common national interest.  It is very important to note that when dealing with the interest of the nation and the performance of the functions of a public office, a determined leader cannot prioritise the interest of an individual.

”It therefore bears repeating here that Mrs Waziri’s removal as chairperson of EFCC had absolutely nothing to do with her purported refusal to desist from probing any oil individual. This claim sounds rather superficial and contradicts available evidence of the then government’s genuine efforts to combat oil subsidy racketeering.  It is noteworthy that throughout President Jonathan’s tenure, he made practical efforts to combat the alleged oil cabals, including directing the stoppage of further payment of fuel subsidy claims to oil importers, and the setting up of the Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede-led committee which had high level representation from all the intelligence agencies including the EFCC, with a mandate to thoroughly investigate the scandals in the industry. The choice of Aig-Aigboje, a man widely acclaimed for his dependability, as leader of the committee, was a clear demonstration that the President had no personal interest in the matter.”

 

Also Read:  Declared: Muhammadu Buhari Is Nigeria's President

Upon being sacked after serving as EFCC’s chairman from May 2008 to November 2011, Waziri was replaced with Ibrahim Lamorde. Before her sack, she was accused of compromising cases involving former governors like Lucky Igbinedion, former governor of Edo state who got a minor punishment for a $24 million embezzlement case.

 

Share
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

THERE’S NO MULTIPLE TAXATION IN LAGOS – SANWO-OLU

Published

on

CANADIAN MAYOR

…Gov Urges Citizens To Pay Taxes To Enable Govt Discharge Its Responsibilities

Lagos State Government has reiterated that there is currently no multiple taxation in Lagos State revenue system.

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu stated this during a courtesy visit to Lagos House, Ikeja by the Executive Chairman, Federal Inland Revenue Service, (FIRS) Mr. Muhammad Nami.

Placing emphasis on startups, the Governor stated that his administration will always improve on the ease of doing business in the State rather than stifle the economy with loaded taxes.

Mr Sanwo-Olu promised to embrace and support the activities of start-ups who are scared of the tax burden associated with businesses.

He also urged Nigerians to pay their taxes regularly in order for the Government to attain a balanced development at all levels, which according to him, include social infrastructure, security among others.

The Governor promised that Lagos State Government would continue with the existing relationship and further collaborate with the Federal Inland revenue Service in sharing information to aid revenue collection and ensure deliverables were met.

Sanwo-Olu lauded the Federal Government for considering the starte up businesses in the exemption threshold on taxation.

He said: “we will make sure that there is ease of doing businesses, especially start-ups, that are always scared that they have multiple taxation. There is nothing like multiple taxation in Lagos.

“It is clear that they are exempted but that doesn’t stop them from doing proper filing and ensure transparent reporting at whichever level of their business.

“We will also use this opportunity to encourage our citizens that it is only when they play their own part as responsible citizens both at the corporate and individual level that the government can come up and discharge its responsibilities.

“Development is by tax and it is only when we collect reasonably amount of tax that we can introduce development both at infrastructure level and more importantly on security so we cannot but ensure that we collaborate and corporate with you,” he said.

Responding to the Chairman on the N8.5 trillion target set by the President, Governor Sanwo-Olu said the country has the capacity to generate such amount but warned that it must be done cautiously.

Also speaking on the ongoing Federal Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) 2020 meeting holding for the first time in Lagos, Sanwo-Olu said it was an opportunity to deliberate on the proceeds that State gets from the Federal Government was used judiciously.

He said: “I am sure they know clearly that you can live up to those bills and 8.5 trillion sounds a lot but they know you have the capacity.

The Executive Chairman, Federal Inland Revenue Service, FIRS, said the aim of the visit was to ensure effective performance of the service in meeting its target and in its request to share information, collaborate in building capacity as well as engage private sector on the Value Added Tax collection.

“We feel without this collaboration, we cannot generate this 8.5 trillion that we have been mandated by the President to generate,” he said.

 

Share
Also Read:  Ogun-Lagos Border Towns Team Backs Isiaka*** Move To Support Dapo Abiodun's Administration
Continue Reading

News

SANWO-OLU CALLS FOR NEW REVENUE SOURCES, SHARING FORMULA

Published

on

CANADIAN MAYOR

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has called for the creation and boosting of new sources of export in Nigeria’s bid to meet the yearning and aspiration of Nigerians just as he demanded a fair and just revenue sharing formula.

Speaking through his Deputy, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat at the opening ceremony of the Federations Accounts Allocation Committee’s Retreat being hosted by Lagos State, he declared: “We must do everything within our power to create and boost new sources of export, especially along the lines of value-added agriculture and manufacturing’’.

He urged State Governments to “explore ways of reducing dependency on what comes from the federation account on monthly basis by adopting creative and innovative strategies to boost IGR’’.

While calling for innovative strategies by State Governments in the area of internally generated revenue, the Governor called for “a new fair and just revenue-sharing formula for federation revenues’’.

He added “there is actually a correlation between an appropriate revenue formula and the ability of federating units to achieve a meaningful diversification and sustainable growth in IGR’’.

Also Read:  Chinese Company Huawei Dumps Agency Touchpoint Limited

Declaring further that Lagos deserves a special status funding, Sanwo-Olu said “Lagos shoulders a heavy burden, which if not properly discharged poses great danger to the attainment of our national economic growth aspirations’’.

He stated that Lagos needs help if it is to be able to meet the challenges of half a million people migrating into Lagos daily.

According to the Governor, the new revenue formula should take cognisance of population density in addition to nominal population while also increasing Lagos’s Share of VAT. He decried Lagos getting 10% of VAT while contributing 55% as equitable.

Speaking earlier, the Minister of Finance, Budget & National Planning, Hajia Zainab Shamsuna Ahmed while praising the synergy between the federal and all other tiers of government urge States to consider IGR as a critical instrument of funding by blocking leakages and ensure effective and efficient collection of revenue.

She further stated that the introduction of State’s Fiscal Transparency, Accountability and Sustainability (SFIAS) in partnership with World Bank was to strengthen fiscal discipline and financial stability. She added that a regime of peer learning will help States in revenue drive.

Also Read:  FSARS Officer Who Shot LASTMA Official Dies From Mob Beating

While acknowledging States’ interest and efforts to meet the eligibility criteria and conditions for Disbursement Linked Indicators, the Minister said States will soon benefit from the grants.

She further explained that the Federal Government is committed to achieving a revenue to GDP rate 15% in the medium term adding that there will be efforts to improve investment in agriculture and industry as well as curtail imports.

In his welcome address, Benue State Commissioner of Finance who is also the Chairman, Forum of Commissioners of Finance, Hon David Olofu described the retreat as a training for all new members.

He noted that the retreats theme, Efficient Federation Revenue Allocation as a Nexus for Economic Diversification is a pointer to the “need for a synchronised consistent and sustained effort at all levels to diversify the economy and provide opportunities for our people’’.

Share
Continue Reading

News

Tinubu 2023 Presidency Would Be Illogical, Most Disruptive-Bode George

Published

on

The former deputy national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Bode George has described a 2023 Tinubu presidency as illogical and most disruptive.

George said this during an interview with Punchng.com published on Sunday, February 16.

Bola Tinubu

“It would be the most illogical and most disruptive issue to have him (Tinubu) elected as President,” he said.

The PDP stalwart, who intends to contest the 2023 presidential election attacked Tinubu, adding he was throwing an open challenge to him.

George, who acknowledged the fact that PDP required remodelling and confirmed that the party would be beaten stupid at elections if it continues as it is, stated that if the PDP’s zoning formula for the presidency points to the South, it should be given to the Southeast because they have never had it, adding that if the name Tinubu pops up in the APC, he would go all out to contest with him.

Also Read:  FSARS Officer Who Shot LASTMA Official Dies From Mob Beating

He also said that he would dump Nigeria for Togo if the national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu, wins the presidential election in 2023.

“If this happens, I will disown Nigeria to take the citizenship of Togo or any other country. Look, what this fellow did in my state, all the lies and the most painful thing was that on the day of the election (2019 election) two bullion vans drove in the daylight to his house and what did Professor Itse Sagay say, that he (Tinubu) had been a very wealthy man before. Where was he wealthy?”

Also Read:  Wike Places N30m Price On The Head Of Notorious Criminal, Bobrisky

Meanwhile, Tinubu has not declared interest in contesting for the position.

Share
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending

Copyright © 2019, February13 Media