Connect with us

News

COVID-19: SANWO-OLU OPENS FOOD MARKETS ACROSS LAGOS, SAYS GOVT MAY TAKE TOUGHER MEASURES

Published

on

NEW TELEGRAPH

…Governor Signs Infectious Diseases Regulation 2020 Into Law To Legalise Restrictions

Lagos State Government, on Friday, opened 50 neighbourhood food markets across the State to serve as makeshift groceries for residents to buy food items, as confirmed cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) increases the chance of possible stringent measures.

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, in a briefing on Friday, disclosed that the initiative was necessary, hinting that the State Government may take “tougher decisions” if the confirmed cases of coronavirus surpass the threshold set by the State.

Sanwo-Olu said that there had been a “strange trend” recorded by the State in its response to the viral epidemic, hinting that some of the new infections showed Lagos may be entering a phase of community transmission of the disease.

The establishment of the neighbourhood food markets was a follow-up to the creation of 10 food banks strategically positioned across the State, which is targeted at feeding over 200,000 vulnerable households that earn daily wage to feed.

He said: “We have started to see a trend that suggests we may be entering the phase of community transmission of the disease. I’m response to this, we are formally launching our Neighborhood Markets scheme. We have 50 large public-school premises across the State that can accommodate temporary open markets where we will have essential food items and household items available for sale at affordable rates.

Also Read:  Court jails five Boko Haram members for life

“These Neighborhood Markets will operate every two days, and will help achieve a number of goals that are all in line with the guidelines of the health authorities. The markets will reduce journey times for the residents. By extension, it reduce the time people will spend in public and will also help to maintain social distancing requirements.”

The Governor also signed the Lagos State Infectious Diseases Regulation 2020 into law to give legal backing to the ongoing enforcement of restrictive measures being taken by the State Government to contain the spread of the virus.

The regulation, Sanwo-Olu said, prescribes stringent penalties to defaulters of directives and guidelines issued by the Government to stop community transmission of COVID-19.

As cases of COVID-19 surges, Sanwo-Olu said he would not rule out possible lockdown of the State in the coming days, urging the residents to brace for tougher measures. The Governor, however, said the treatment and management of the confirmed cases at Infectious Disease Hospital (IDH) had not overwhelmed the State.

Also Read:  RevolutionNow: Sambo Denies Ownership Of Social Media Accounts

Going by the nature of spread of the virus in other countries, the Governor said every human was at risk of contracting the disease, stressing that the response strategy to defeat the pandemic required collective effort and cooperation of residents.

“I have said again and again that this fight is a collective one; we are all in it together,” he said.

Sanwo-Olu praised President Muhammadu Buhari for his leadership and support of the effort by Lagos Government to stop the epidemic. He said the release of N10 billion grant to the State was a recognition of Lagos as epicentre of COVID-19 pandemic in the country.

He also appreciated the contributions of members of the organised private sector that supported the State’s effort by donation of cash, medical equipment and building of isolation centres.

The Governor said efforts were ongoing to halt community transmission, revealing that agents of the Government had already started state-wide fumigation. This, he said, would be followed up by mass sensitisation and advocacy to disseminate information to residents at the grassroots.

Share
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Mosques, Churches To Reopen On June 19, 21

Published

on

Churches

Religious activities will resume in Lagos State on Friday, June 19, and 21 respectively.

According to a new directive by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the ban on religious activities will cease in the state on June 19 and 21.

Muslim services to resume on Friday, June 19, while Christian worship begins on Sunday, June, 21

Also Read:  RevolutionNow: Sambo Denies Ownership Of Social Media Accounts

The directive however restricts children below the age 15 of 15 from attending such religious gatherings with gatherings restricted to only Fridays and Sundays.

Share
Continue Reading

News

Godswill Akpabio Failed To Deliver On 500 Million Contract-Senator Peter Nwaoboshi

Published

on

Contract

Senator Peter Nwaoboshi, the chairman of the Senate Committee on Niger Delta has accused the minister of Niger Delta affairs, Godswill Akpabio of getting a N300 million fence construction contract from the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).

 

According to The Cable, while still the senator representing Akwa Ibom north-west, Akpabio requested for a N500 million contract from the NDDC in 2017. The Minister was reportedly given the contract of fencing Federal Polytechnic Ukana, Akwa Ibom, (N200 million), and Federal Government College, Ikot Ekpene (N100 million).

 

The publication reported that Akpabio got N150 million for entrepreneurship training on the use of modern farming implements for youths and women of Akwa Ibom north-west senatorial district and N50 million for the renovation of a hostel at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu state.

Also Read:  How We Invested N900b In The Power Sector-Osinbajo

 

Akpabio got N300m fence construction contract from NDDC - Senator Peter Nwaoboshi

 

Speaking to newsmen on Wednesday, June 3, Senator Nwaoboshi said the contracts were fully paid for but there was nothing to show for it.

 

He said:

 

“Findings show that while there was no physical evidence of implementation of these projects, checks show contracts were awarded and fully paid for.

“Such practices have turned the region to sites of abandoned projects.”

 

This is coming after Akpabio said he would not allow the NDDC to be raped under his watch. A few days ago, the former Governor of Akwa Ibom state raised an alarm about NDDC abandoned projects and the agency being “turned to an ATM” by politicians.

Also Read:  5 Ways to Make Travel Less Stressful

 

Akpabio said;

 

“We have also had a lot of political interference, people have not allowed NDDC to work as it ought to, people coming with ideas not to move the region forward but to move their pockets forward. It has always been so… I think people were treating the place as an ATM, where you just walk in there to go and pluck money and go away, I don’t think they were looking at it as an interventionist agency.”

Share
Continue Reading

News

Man Beat Four Year-Old Son To Coma

Published

on

Beat

A man simply identified as Tunde has been arrested by men of the Lagos state police command.

He was arrested for beating his four-year-old son, Ezekiel, to a state of coma, leaving him with several body marks.

The father of the boy reportedly got angry because he excreted on himself.

Man arrested for beating his four-year-old son to coma in Lagos (photos)

Neighbors revealed that Ezekiel’s mum and his father Tunde were married for a few years until she left him over constant acts of domestic violence. She initially left with Ezekiel but later returned him to his father who had already remarried.

Also Read:  Court jails five Boko Haram members for life

A neighbor told The Nation that Ezekiel was always being maltreated by Tunde and his new wife.

“Tunde married another wife and the woman always beat Ezekiel at every little provocation. Nobody in the neighbourhood could stop Tunde from beating the boy because of his unruly behaviour,” the neighbor said

Confirming his arrest, the Igando Divisional Police Officer, CSP Taiwo Kasumu said:

“We have arrested him and the child is with us. Though the child can’t be with us; I have contacted the Lagos State Child Protection Unit for further action.”

Share
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending

Copyright © 2019, February13 Media