Connect with us

News

BE FRIENDLY WITH LAGOSIANS, SANWO-OLU URGES SECURITY OPERATIVES AS LAGOS SHUTS TO MOVEMENT

Published

on

…Enforcement Will Be Done With Human Face – CP

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has charged security agents to be friendly in enforcing the lockdown order announced on Sunday by President Muhammadu Buhari.

The Governor urged those who will be carrying out the enforcement to show high professionalism in dealing with erring persons, cautioning that high-handedness may lead to violation of human rights of residents.

Sanwo-Olu gave the charge on Monday in a discussion with commanders of all security formations in the State during a Security Council meeting held at the State House in Marina.

President Buhari announced 14-day cessation of movement in Lagos, Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and Ogun State as part of the steps to break the cycle of the spread of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country. Lagos is the worst hit among the three states locked down by the Federal Government.

Also Read:  Reaction trails Rita Dominic’s new deal

Briefing the press after the meeting, Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, who spoke on behalf the Council, said the presidential directive would be fully implemented, stressing that commanders of each security agency had resolved to comply with the Governor’s entreaty.

He said the enforcement of the restriction order would be executed with human face, but pleaded with residents and inter-state commuters to exercise self-compliance with the presidential directive.

He said: “We have just concluded a Security Council meeting with Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and as commanders of security agencies in Lagos, we have fully digested the presidential directive on COVID-19. We have all resolved now to comply and enforce all the restrictions.

“The enforcement of the restrictions and all directives will be done with human face. We want to appeal to members of the public; what matters most is self compliant. They must try as much as possible to comply voluntarily to the laid down regulations, so that we can collectively defeat the pandemic.”

Also Read:  COVID-19: SANWO-OLU OPENS FOOD MARKETS ACROSS LAGOS, SAYS GOVT MAY TAKE TOUGHER MEASURES

The Lagos police boss said those who had been exempted in the presidential directive would be allowed to move unhindered at any time of the day in the containment period, but added that the exemption was not blanket.

Odumosu said some other professionals and government officials on essential duties would be allowed to move, but said their leadership must obtain clearance from security agencies before sending out staff to work.

He said: “The exemption is not blanket. Some other measurements will still be attached to it and sent to various government ministries in the state. The Commissioners in charge of these ministries will have review and confirm those who are exempted are actually qualified to be exempted.”

Share

News

Mosques, Churches To Reopen On June 19, 21

Published

on

Churches

Religious activities will resume in Lagos State on Friday, June 19, and 21 respectively.

According to a new directive by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the ban on religious activities will cease in the state on June 19 and 21.

Muslim services to resume on Friday, June 19, while Christian worship begins on Sunday, June, 21

Also Read:  SANWO-OLU EXPRESSES SHOCK; SADNESS OVER MARTINS STREET INFERNO

The directive however restricts children below the age 15 of 15 from attending such religious gatherings with gatherings restricted to only Fridays and Sundays.

Share
Continue Reading

News

Godswill Akpabio Failed To Deliver On 500 Million Contract-Senator Peter Nwaoboshi

Published

on

Contract

Senator Peter Nwaoboshi, the chairman of the Senate Committee on Niger Delta has accused the minister of Niger Delta affairs, Godswill Akpabio of getting a N300 million fence construction contract from the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).

 

According to The Cable, while still the senator representing Akwa Ibom north-west, Akpabio requested for a N500 million contract from the NDDC in 2017. The Minister was reportedly given the contract of fencing Federal Polytechnic Ukana, Akwa Ibom, (N200 million), and Federal Government College, Ikot Ekpene (N100 million).

 

The publication reported that Akpabio got N150 million for entrepreneurship training on the use of modern farming implements for youths and women of Akwa Ibom north-west senatorial district and N50 million for the renovation of a hostel at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu state.

Also Read:  SANWO-OLU DEDICATES FIRST ANNIVERSARY TO FRONTLINE HEALTH WORKERS, HONOURS MEDICAL PERSONNEL

 

Akpabio got N300m fence construction contract from NDDC - Senator Peter Nwaoboshi

 

Speaking to newsmen on Wednesday, June 3, Senator Nwaoboshi said the contracts were fully paid for but there was nothing to show for it.

 

He said:

 

“Findings show that while there was no physical evidence of implementation of these projects, checks show contracts were awarded and fully paid for.

“Such practices have turned the region to sites of abandoned projects.”

 

This is coming after Akpabio said he would not allow the NDDC to be raped under his watch. A few days ago, the former Governor of Akwa Ibom state raised an alarm about NDDC abandoned projects and the agency being “turned to an ATM” by politicians.

Also Read:  Frustrating Things About Windows 10

 

Akpabio said;

 

“We have also had a lot of political interference, people have not allowed NDDC to work as it ought to, people coming with ideas not to move the region forward but to move their pockets forward. It has always been so… I think people were treating the place as an ATM, where you just walk in there to go and pluck money and go away, I don’t think they were looking at it as an interventionist agency.”

Share
Continue Reading

News

Man Beat Four Year-Old Son To Coma

Published

on

Beat

A man simply identified as Tunde has been arrested by men of the Lagos state police command.

He was arrested for beating his four-year-old son, Ezekiel, to a state of coma, leaving him with several body marks.

The father of the boy reportedly got angry because he excreted on himself.

Man arrested for beating his four-year-old son to coma in Lagos (photos)

Neighbors revealed that Ezekiel’s mum and his father Tunde were married for a few years until she left him over constant acts of domestic violence. She initially left with Ezekiel but later returned him to his father who had already remarried.

Also Read:  SANWO-OLU DEDICATES FIRST ANNIVERSARY TO FRONTLINE HEALTH WORKERS, HONOURS MEDICAL PERSONNEL

A neighbor told The Nation that Ezekiel was always being maltreated by Tunde and his new wife.

“Tunde married another wife and the woman always beat Ezekiel at every little provocation. Nobody in the neighbourhood could stop Tunde from beating the boy because of his unruly behaviour,” the neighbor said

Confirming his arrest, the Igando Divisional Police Officer, CSP Taiwo Kasumu said:

“We have arrested him and the child is with us. Though the child can’t be with us; I have contacted the Lagos State Child Protection Unit for further action.”

Share
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending

Copyright © 2019, February13 Media