Connect with us

Opinion

AFCON 2019: Zenith Bank Commend Super Eagles

Published

on

Ebenezer Onyeagwu
group managing director of Zenith Bank, Ebenezer Onyeagwu

Leading financial institution, Zenith Bank, has commenced the efforts of the Nigerian Super Eagles at the ongoing 2019 African Cup of Nations.

The financial institution, a major sponsor of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), commended the Super Eagles ahead of a Semi final match against Algeria.

The bank charged the team to go for the ultimate price of winning the trophy.

Recall that Nigeria defeated Burundi and Guinea in the group stage to qualify for the knockout stage of the competition.

Subsequently, the Super Eagles defeated the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon 3-2 in the round of 16 and Bafana Bafana of South Africa 2-1 in the quarterfinal.

Also Read:  Cracks On Ikeja City Mall Building Spurs Fear Of Collapse

Expressing delight at the team’s progress, Group Managing Director of Zenith Bank, Ebenezer Onyeagwu, commended the fighting spirit of the Super Eagles, adding that they have displayed the quality of champions.

Mr Onyeagwu noted that to have sent defending champions, Cameroon, out of the competition was good indication of the team’s readiness to win the AFCON.

“The Super Eagles have been amazing so far and we appreciate their efforts at the AFCON tournament in Egypt. After sending out Cameroon, it shows that the team was ready to take over the trophy.

Also Read:  Funds Crisis Rocks Amaju Pinic, NFF

“We believe they can go all the way and bring the trophy home. As an organization, we are going to continue to support the NFF and also ensure we boost the senior national team to get good results at all times for Nigeria,” he said.

Defeating Algeria on Sunday, July 14, will pitch Nigeria against either Senegal or Tunisia in the final.

Share
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Opinion

See How Lauretta Onochie Explained Sowore Rearrest In Court

Published

on

Releases

President Buhari’s aide on Social Media, Lauretta Onochie has a unique explanation of Omoyele Sowore’s rearrest in court on Friday, December 6.

According to her, the rearrest was staged by Sowore’s supporters.

Lauretta said this in a writeup posted on her Facebook page.

See what she wrote below:

(more…)

Share
Also Read:  NCS lands N15.75m scholarships from Zenith Chairman, Ovia
Continue Reading

Opinion

Why I Lost To Anthony Joshua–Ruiz Jr.

Published

on

Andy Ruiz Jr. has revealed what cost him the rematch against Anthony Joshua on Saturday, December 7.

Joshua and Ruiz Jnr. slogged it out in Saudi Arabia to confirm the holder of the heavyweight title won by Ruiz Jr from Joshua months earlier.

Speaking at the post match conference, Ruiz Jr. blamed months of partying and celebration leading to overweight, adding thst undertraining also made him lose the match to Joshua.

 “Three months of partying and celebrating affected me, what can I say?

“Being overweight, I wasn’t fluid enough, I wasn’t moving the way I wanted to move.

“I think if I’m lighter I’m going to let my hands go and be a completely different fighter.”

When asked what he would have done differently if granted a rematch against Anthony Joshua, he said;

 “Listen to my coach. Listen to my dad. And take it more seriously.

“I’m OK, I’m just a little disappointed. I should have listened to them.

“I tried to do the training on my own. I should have listened to them more.

“There’s no excuses…the partying and all that stuff got the best of me.

“For being out of shape I did pretty good, I took all his shots.”

Ruiz recognized that he lost a wide decision to Joshua but said he holds a victory too. He said the scores are tied with one win apiece and he wants a trilogy bout.

 “I know for the third one I’m going to be a lot better.”

He added: “There’s a lot of responsibility being a champion of the world. I think the partying and all that stuff got the best of me. Next time it’ll be a lot better.”

With the victory, British-Nigerian Joshua regains his IBF, WBA and WBO titles.

Also Read:  The Return Of Keshi: Demands N1billion compensation from NFF

The bout which lasted until 12 rounds was scored 118-110, 118-110 and 119-109 by the judges.

Speaking on his victory, Joshua said:  “I wanted to put on a boxing masterclass.”

“First of all, thanks to God. The first time was so nice, I had to do it twice,” he said. 

“I knew I could win this. This is about boxing, I’m used to knocking guys out.

“I gave the man his credit, I said I would correct myself, I respect Andy, But I wanted to put on a boxing masterclass.

“It’s the sweet science, it’s about hitting and not getting hit.

“No change in mentalist, stay hungry and stay humble. I’m going to remain humble in victory. Thanks to Ruiz and his family, thanks to Saudi, the fans and thanks to God and Eddie Hearn.”

See more photos from the fight below:

Also Read:  That Greek Gift Of Hosa Okunbo

See more photos from heavyweight boxing rematch as Anthony Joshua defeats Andy Ruiz to regain his titlesSee more photos from heavyweight boxing rematch as Anthony Joshua defeats Andy Ruiz to regain his titlesSee more photos from heavyweight boxing rematch as Anthony Joshua defeats Andy Ruiz to regain his titlesSee more photos from heavyweight boxing rematch as Anthony Joshua defeats Andy Ruiz to regain his titlesSee more photos from heavyweight boxing rematch as Anthony Joshua defeats Andy Ruiz to regain his titles

 

 

Share
Continue Reading

Opinion

BREAKING: Court Of Arbitration For Sports Lift Transfer Ban On Chelsea

Published

on

FIFA

Chelsea Football Club of England has found respite to the two years transfer ban imposed on them by the Federation of International Football (FIFA).

The Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS)  lifted the transfer embargo placed on Chelsea on Friday.

Chelsea had appealed an initial judgement that imposed the two-window transfer ban handed down by FIFA last February.

Also Read:  Funds Crisis Rocks Amaju Pinic, NFF

With the ban lifted, Chelsea can  now sign players during the transfer window.

Share
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending

Copyright © 2019, February13 Media