Connect with us

News

2020: LAGOS WILL INVEST HEAVILY IN WATERWAYS, RAIL TRANSPORTATION – SANWO-OLU

Published

on

Coronavirus

…Lagos Gov Greets Residents On New Year, Says Govt Won’t Retreat From Solving Challenges

Lagos State Government will be pursuing audacious development programmes in 2020, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu revealed in a New Year broadcast. The Governor unveiled his administration’s direction in policies and programmes in the year, disclosing that the Government would be prioritising investment in critical infrastructure with a new vigour.

Sanwo-Olu said the State Government was prepared to shift the burden of transportation away from roads alone, disclosing that there would be renewed focus on waterways and rail transportation in the current year. The objective, the Governor said, is to disperse traffic on the roads and give residents a new choice in mass movement across the State.

With the signing of the State’s N1.168 trillion 2020 Budget into law last Tuesday, the Governor said his administration had been statutorily emboldened to fully tap into the potential of its waterways and rail corridors by pursuing fresh investment and partnerships that would help his Government deliver an inter-modal transportation model.

Traffic management and transportation is a key pillar of the Sanwo-Olu administration’s development agenda, known as Project T.H.E.M.E.S, seeking to assuage the pains of Lagos residents occasioned by road gridlocks by reducing travel time and scaling up productivity.

The Governor said: “We are prioritising investment in infrastructure this year to shift the burden of transportation away from the roads unto the waterways as a means of moving our people around safely and efficiently. Lagos is endowed with a large body of water that has been under-exploited over the years. This is why we have set up a challenged ourselves to investment in this underutilised channel.

“Work will begin to happen on our waterways and Lagos State Waterways Authority (LASWA) has been saddled with this responsibility. In terms of the pace of work that is going on our Blue Line Rail project, which stretches from Okokomaiko to Marina, we expect the work to pick up and get Phase 1 of it completed for operations. Also, construction work to commence on the Red Line that will stretch from Agege to Ebute Metta, this year.”

Sanwo-Olu observed that Lagos State Public Works (LSPW) had been complementing his administration’s infrastructural renewal programme with persistent rehabilitation works on existing roads to ease flow of traffic on feeder roads. The repair work, he said, will continue across the State.

The Governor said the State had doubled its budgetary allocation to healthcare purposely to boost human capital and productivity, disclosing that the Government would be building more tertiary healthcare facilities in underserved areas across the State. This, he said, will make quality healthcare accessible and affordable for residents irrespective of income level.

He added that massive upgrading programme of Primary Healthcare Centres (PHCs) will commence in the first quarter of the year, revealing that a chunk of funds had been integrated in the healthcare budget for comprehensive investment in universal health insurance coverage scheme for all residents.

Sanwo-Olu said his administration’s education programme remained on course, noting that the Government had commenced training of new teachers and retraining of those already in the system. This, he said, is being complemented with massive rehabilitation of public schools across the State, pointing out that 300 schools were already being renovated in the Phase 1 of the scheme.

As the year progresses, the Governor promised that more development programmes would be unveiled across the pillars of his administration’s agenda that will directly touch the lives of residents, pleading for support and cooperation of the people. He said his Government would not retreat from taking actions that will solve challenges facing the State.

He said: “There is so much to look forward to in this New Year. I solicit for full cooperation and support as we take the first step into 2020. Together, we can achieve the ‘Greater Lagos’ of our dreams. Let us join hands and usher in the New Year with hope and confidence, with the knowledge that brighter days are ahead of us.

“In spite of whatever challenges that the New Year might bring, we will not retreat from the challenges; instead, we will convert the challenges to stepping stone to success and true greatness. I wish all Lagosians a happy and prosperous 2020.”

Share
Also Read:  Simple ways to handle a bad roommate
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

BE FRIENDLY WITH LAGOSIANS, SANWO-OLU URGES SECURITY OPERATIVES AS LAGOS SHUTS TO MOVEMENT

Published

on

…Enforcement Will Be Done With Human Face – CP

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has charged security agents to be friendly in enforcing the lockdown order announced on Sunday by President Muhammadu Buhari.

The Governor urged those who will be carrying out the enforcement to show high professionalism in dealing with erring persons, cautioning that high-handedness may lead to violation of human rights of residents.

Sanwo-Olu gave the charge on Monday in a discussion with commanders of all security formations in the State during a Security Council meeting held at the State House in Marina.

President Buhari announced 14-day cessation of movement in Lagos, Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and Ogun State as part of the steps to break the cycle of the spread of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country. Lagos is the worst hit among the three states locked down by the Federal Government.

Also Read:  SANWO-OLU TAKES DELIVERY OF 110-BED ISOLATION CENTRE JOINTLY BUILT WITH GTBANK

Briefing the press after the meeting, Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, who spoke on behalf the Council, said the presidential directive would be fully implemented, stressing that commanders of each security agency had resolved to comply with the Governor’s entreaty.

He said the enforcement of the restriction order would be executed with human face, but pleaded with residents and inter-state commuters to exercise self-compliance with the presidential directive.

He said: “We have just concluded a Security Council meeting with Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and as commanders of security agencies in Lagos, we have fully digested the presidential directive on COVID-19. We have all resolved now to comply and enforce all the restrictions.

“The enforcement of the restrictions and all directives will be done with human face. We want to appeal to members of the public; what matters most is self compliant. They must try as much as possible to comply voluntarily to the laid down regulations, so that we can collectively defeat the pandemic.”

Also Read:  Why I Decided To Drop Title Of “Your Excellency”

The Lagos police boss said those who had been exempted in the presidential directive would be allowed to move unhindered at any time of the day in the containment period, but added that the exemption was not blanket.

Odumosu said some other professionals and government officials on essential duties would be allowed to move, but said their leadership must obtain clearance from security agencies before sending out staff to work.

He said: “The exemption is not blanket. Some other measurements will still be attached to it and sent to various government ministries in the state. The Commissioners in charge of these ministries will have review and confirm those who are exempted are actually qualified to be exempted.”

Share
Continue Reading

News

Governor Seyi Makinde Test Positive To Covid-19

Published

on

Seyi Makinde
The Governor confirmed his status in a short statement released Twitter.
“I just received my COVID-19 confirmation test result. It is POSITIVE. I am asymptomatic and will continue to self-isolate,” Makinde tweeted on Monday evening.
Further, he said: “I have designated Prof Temitope Alonge, former Chief Medical Director of the University College, Ibadan, as the Head of COVID-19 Task Force while I recover fully. Please continue to comply with all the directives from the COVID-19 Task Force. Stay home, stay safe,” he added.
Share
Also Read:  COVID-19: SANWO-OLU ROLLS OUT ECONOMIC STIMULUS FOR RESIDENTS, TARGETS 200,000 HOUSEHOLDS IN FIRST PHASE
Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: LAGOS DISCHARGES FIVE CORONAVIRUS PATIENTS 

Published

on

Coronavirus

Lagos State Government on Monday discharged five coronavirus patients who were admitted to and treated at the Infectious Disease Centre, Yaba Mainland Hospital.

The survivors are four males and one female, bringing the total number of survivors from the cnetre to eight.

The survivors were quarantined and treated at the isolation centre for two weeks after testing positive for the coronavirus.

The survivors who preferred to remain anonymous looked stable and unruffled, saying they felt very happy they had been given a clean bill of health.

They expressed joy and satisfaction with the State Government and Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu over the treatments they received at the isolation centre and his proactive approach towards the containment of the virus.

One of the survivors ( names withheld) said, “I came in here on the 15th and after the test showed positive, I was asked to come back the next day. I was admitted here same day.

“Initially, there were hitches but it later turned out fine. The health workers did fine, all our challenges were attended to. I’m a living witness together with my other colleagues.”

Also Read:  OSHODI-ABULE EGBA BRT CORRIDOR READY IN MAY - SANWO-OLU

The discharged patient gave an assurance that testing positive for COVID-19 is not a death sentence, advising people not to panic as the virus could be defeated.

“We can beat it, I want to assure others that this is not their resting place. Encourage yourselves, take your medications and in no distant time, you will get out of here.

“I want to appeal to the Federal Government and Lagos State government that, they should remunerate all those workers who have volunteered to work accordingly, so as to serve as encouragement to others, adding that, “If they are not here as first responders, many patients would have died.”

Another survivor said, “I was admitted last Sunday. Initially there were challenges, the following day, they brought bed, mask and some equipment.

Also Read:  ISLANDERS INTERNATIONAL MAGAZINE SET FOR THREE IN ONE EVENT

“Apart from what my colleague said, the workers should be insured. Proper insurance will let people do what they have to do.

He narrated a scenario where the workers could not attend to him because he tested positive, saying “they went back and I slept off, I woke up around 3a.m. So they deserve life insurance to encourage them to do their job.”

Meanwhile Governor Sanwo-Olu has received the news of the full recovery of the five patients with excitement.

The Governor, in a short message reassured Lagosians that the Government is doing all within her powers to curtail the spread of the virus so that life could return to normal.

He said: “we are very excited to hear that five of our citizens in the isolation centre have regained full recovery. It is another pointer to us that with a concerted effort, we can defeat the coronavirus in Lagos and Nigeria.”

Share
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending

Copyright © 2019, February13 Media