Connect with us

News

Over 150 SANs To Defend CJN Walter Onnoghen

Published

on

Trail

At least 150 Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANs) are said to have volunteered to represent the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Samuel Onnoghen in a trail slatted for the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) on Monday, January 14th.

On Friday, January 11, the federal government filed a six count charge against the CJN over his alleged failure to declare his assets as required by law and for operating Bank Domiciliary Foreign Currency Accounts.

Constitutional lawyer, Sebastine Hon, SAN was quoted to have said the number of eminent lawyers that have volunteered to defend the CJN might even be more than 150.

Also Read:  Sharon Adeleke waits for motherhood

Meanwhile, Onnoghen, has given an explanation to why he didn’t declare his assets.

According to him, he forgot to declare his asset when he assumed offie as Chief Justice. Onnoghen said this in a statement he sent to the Code of Conduct Tribunal CCB on Friday January 11.

“My asset declaration form numbers SCN 00014 and SCN 00005 were declared on the same day, 14/12/2016 because I forgot to make a declaration of my assets after the expiration of my 2005 declaration in 2009. Following my appointment as acting CJN in November, 2016, the need to declare my assets anew made me to realize the mistake.

Also Read:  Concert Palaver: Davido Slaps Kizz Daniel's Manager, Tumi Lawrence

“I then did the declaration to cover the period in default. I did not include my standard charted bank account in SCN 000014 because I believed they were not opened. I did not make a fresh declaration of asset after my substantive appointment as CJN because I was under the impression that my SCN 000015 was to cover that period of four years which includes my term as CJN,” Mr Onnoghen said in his statement dated January 11.

Share
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

UNN Gets New VIce Chancellor

Published

on

UNN

The University of Nigeria Nsuka (UNN) has gotten a new Vice Chancellor (VC).

Professor Charles Igwe, was named the new VC of the institution of higher learning and its 15th Vice Chancellor.

The new helmsman is a professor of soil science. He made history as the first alumnus of the premier University to assume the post of Vice Chancellor.

UNN

Professor Charles Igwe, Vice Chancellor, UNN

Until his selection and appointment last month by the Governing Council, he was the Deputy Vice Chancellor, Administration.

Also Read:  Royal Nuptial: Usman Dantata ties knot with Rakaiyah Indimi

He took over from Professor Benjamin Ozumba whose tenure ended on Friday.

Speaking during  his inaugural address, Professor Igwe noted that the journey to the position was not an easy one.

According to him, “It is by the special grace of God that I emerged victorious and received my letter of appointment on that blessed day of May 23, 2019,” he said.

Also Read:  Massey Ferguson launches new implement range at Vision of the Future Africa

He therefore promised to serve with due diligence and the fear of God, adding that it is hisi vision to propel the University of Nigeria Nsukka to a first-class University that is globally competitive in both contents and pragmatic delivery of teaching, learning and research outcomes.

Share
Continue Reading

News

Shocker: Why Deeper Life Church Canceled Member’s Wedding

Published

on

Kumuyi

Wonders will never cease or how do you explain a church canceling the wedding of its members for the most unrealistic reason.

According to a report, Bolingo Israel and Okpokpolom Jemima members of Deeper Life Church allegedly got his wedding suspended for eating from the same plate.

The incident said to have happened a week before the couple’s wedding has been generating reaction on social media.

A Twitter user identified as @realoladele shared details of the incident. According to him, the couple were set to wed on Saturday, June 8 and held their traditional wedding on Friday, June 7.

According to him, during the course of the traditional wedding, they got a text saying that their wedding set to hold the next day had been suspended

Furthermore, the couple was placed on ‘discipline’ by the pastor. The incident is said to have occurred at Deeper Life Church in Bayelsa and all the arrangements made by the couple for the wedding day got wasted.

Report has it that the wedding was canceled by the pastor because the couple played the role of man and wife by eating from the same plate despite the fact that they were yet to be married.

Also Read:  Royal Nuptial: Usman Dantata ties knot with Rakaiyah Indimi

When the family of the couple reached out to the pastor, he refused on the basis that the couple ate from the same plate a week before they were joined in holy matrimony and for that reason have to be punished.

Reacting to the development, the church explained that contrary to reports, the couple had actually engaged in immoral acts after sleeping in the same bed and it amounted to sin. The church further explained that after feeling guilty and reporting themselves to their respective pastors, the couple was placed on disciplinary action by the state overseer.

After the church felt they had repented, the wedding was slated to hold again but was eventually suspended the second time after they discovered the couple had engaged in ‘acts contrary to the laid down procedure by the marriage committee of the church’. Concluding the statement, the church explained that it stands for holiness and members have been admonished to abstain from evil. The couple was also described to have behaved unseemingly and were in a haste to enjoy the benefits of married couples.

Read the statement below:

“The church has a Marriage Committee that supervises marriage right from knowing the will of God, to obtaining parents’ consent, marriage registration to church wedding. When the intending couples were told to go to Brass Region in Bayelsa state to obtain the man’s parents’ consent, they spent several days together before coming back to Yenagoa. They slept on the same bed and engaged in moral acts which amounted to sin and against the marriage process of the Church. They felt what they had done was bad and reported themselves to their pastors. They were subsequently placed on discipline by the State Overseer. After some period, reporting that they have repented, the courtship was allowed to commence again.

Also Read:  LAGOS ISSUES 313 LEGAL ADVICE IN THREE MONTHS

As preparation for wedding was going on, it was discovered that they again engaged in acts contrary to the laid down procedure by the marriage committee of the church. This is after they had been disciplined earlier and warned not to engage in acts that will impact negatively on their proposed marriage. When the Marriage Committee put a direct question to them based on the latest development, the man accepted their error. It is important to note here, that the church stands on holiness and members have been consistently admonished to “abstain from all appearance of evil. It is not also true that the parents pleaded with the pastor to wed them on the 8th June, 2019. The summary is that they behaved themselves unseemingly, and were in haste to enjoy the benefits the church and God allow only married couples to enjoy.”

Share
Continue Reading

News

Intrigues As Kebbi State Names New Chief Judge

Published

on

Chief Judge

Kebbi State governor, Atiku Baguda, has named a new Chief Judge for the state.

Baguda named Sulaiman Ambursa pending confirmation by the state House of Assembly.

The appointment comes following the sack of Elizabeth Asabe Karatu the state’s former acting Chief Judge.

The general impression is that Karatu was axed because the state assembly did not confirm her name. However, she has maintained that she was sacked because of her Christian faith.

Ambursa was sworn-in a ceremony which held on Friday, June 14.

Also Read:  Duncan Mighty Picks New Wheel

Reacting to insinuations that the former Chief judge was sacked due to her religion, the governor of the state said: “It baffles me when I read a story on social media that I did not forward Karatu’s name for confirmation because of her religion. “If you could recall, I re-submitted the name of Karatu for the second time on June 2, 2018, to the House for confirmation as Chief Judge. “I was informed that on Aug. 1, 2018, the House refused to confirm her appointment over the alleged alteration of her date of birth and primary school certificate,” he explained.

Also Read:  Royal Nuptial: Usman Dantata ties knot with Rakaiyah Indimi

Further, he said that he lobbied the lawmakers to ensure Karatu was confirmed but all effort proved unsuccessful. He also disclosed how he wrote to the National Judicial Council (NJC) on his efforts to ensure Karatu was confirmed by the House without fruitful outcome, stressing that the refusal to confirm her was not based on her faith.

Share
Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending

Copyright © 2019, February13 media